Friday, October 7, 2011

Setting Our Sight


My eldest daughter recently decided that she would like to deer hunt this year.  So I pulled my guns out of storage and have begun trying to get things ready to take her.  One of the tasks was getting sights put on one of the guns that did not have a sight.

I took it to a local retailer and they installed the sight and then they put a special tool on it and adjusted the sight saying this should get you close and as you shoot you can do the fine adjustment.  Later in the day I went to shoot and put out an 18” square target.  I shot several times and could not even hit the paper.  I finally went and found a seed bag and opened it up so I had a 36” square target.  After shooting a couple rounds it became obvious that the gun was shooting about 20 inches to the left and below center.  The tool that was to help set the sight was set by the wrong standard.

This reminded me of our lives and our sin.   We often can look at others and think I am doing well.  I never do this or that.  But the problem with this is that we are not looking at the right standard.  Jesus Christ is to be the standard that we use to set our sights on holiness.  Anything less and we will find that it just not sufficient.  Unfortunately, none of us can attain to the holiness of Jesus Christ therefore none of us are capable of getting to heaven.  Fortunately God loved us enough to send Jesus Christ to die on the cross to pay the penalty of our sins!

We simply must come to the point of realizing how truly sinful we are and that we are capable of doing nothing about it and then confess that to God asking forgiveness of our sin believing that only the blood of Jesus Christ is sufficient to cleanse our sins.

I challenge you today to make sure you are using the right standard to set your sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment