Thursday, October 27, 2011

Confidence in the Lord Psalm 5:1-3In

In Psalm 5 verses 1-3   David says, “1Give ear to my words, O Lord, Consider my meditation. 2Give heed to the voice of my cry, My King and my God, For to You I will pray. 3My voice You shall hear in the morning, O Lord; In the morning I will direct it to You, And I will look up.”  

David put his confidence in the Lord.  What is your confidence in?  What do your actions reveal that your confidence is in?  Are you putting your confidence in men?  Your spouse?  Many put their confidence in themselves.  Others put their confidence in money and still more put their confidence in the government.

In this passage David reveals his confidence in three ways.  The first way is that His confidence is seen in his repetition.  Verse one says, “Give ear to my words”.  He was asking God to listen.   In verse one he repeated the idea saying, “Consider my meditation” .  The term here is sighing not the term we have previously looked at for meditation.  David’s troubles may have kept him from even being able to put words to his prayers.  The second verse begins by saying, “Give heed to the voice of my cry.”  In these three ways David was pleading with God.  John Calvin said this revealed his perseverance in prayer.  He didn’t just pray once and quit.  It was a day by day occurrence.

The second way that David’s confidence in the Lord is seen is through his statement, “My voice shall you hear”.   There are two sides to this statement.  The obvious is that David would be talking because it was his voice.  He was confident to take his request to God.  The other one is that God would here.  He was confident that God would listen to his prayer.

The third way that David’s confidence is seen is in his expectancy.  His statement, “I will look up” reveals that he was looking to God expecting Him to answer.  Do we expect God to answer us when we bring requests.  My mind goes to the early church when they were praying for Peter’s release from jail and when he showed up at the door they were too surprised to let him in.  We too should pray with confidence. 

I hope that today you are placing your confidence in the Lord as you take your requests to him on a daily basis.

The video format of this is available at www.youtube.com/churchoflittleton

No comments:

Post a Comment