Friday, October 21, 2011

First Word # 7 Psalm 119:97


Psalm 119:97 (NKJV) 97Oh, how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day.

The law is God’s Word in David’s time.  It was the law of Moses the first five books of the Bible.  God has given us more books now in the cannon of Scripture, 66 total. 

His love for  God’s Word brought him to the point of meditating upon it all day.

James Swanson gives us this definition of meditation, “the act. of giving considerable thought about a person or subject, with a focus of responding properly to the information”[1]

How well are we familiar with God’s Word that we can spend our day thinking about it?  Do we consider what Scripture and it’s principles that apply to what we are trying to accomplish during this day.

In the following three verses the writer of the psalm recognizes three benefits to this meditation. 

They say, 98You, through Your commandments, make me wiser than my enemies; For they are ever with me. 99I have more understanding than all my teachers, For Your testimonies are my meditation.
100I understand more than the ancients, Because I keep Your precepts. (Psalm 119:98–100) (NKJV)

1.   Wiser than his enemies - These enemies would be ones violating God’s laws who God will judge.
2.   More understanding than teachers. – His teachers did not meditate on the testimonies enough to keep them.  They were missing the blessing and facing the consequences not obeying the testimony that God had given to Moses.
3.   Understand more than the aged – They chose not to meditate upon the precepts and thereby broke the covenant of God and would miss out on the intended blessing.

In this passage we are challenged to:
a.   Evaluate our love for God’s law.  What is of more value to us?  What do we give more of our free time to?
b.   Evaluate where our mind is wondering when we are not about a focused task.  Does it come back to God’s Word?
c.   Evaluate our desire to live a life by God’s principles.  Am I concerned enough with pleasing God through obedience that I want to know His principles by which to live?

 My hope for you today is that your love for God’s word would grow to the point that your mind automatically goes to it as you have time to think and determine God’s plan for your life on daily moment by moment basis.
Note: The video version of this is available at www.youtube.com/churchoflitteleton

[1] James Swanson, Dictionary of Biblical Languages With Semantic Domains : Hebrew (Old Testament), electronic ed. (Oak Harbor: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1997).

No comments:

Post a Comment