Wednesday, October 19, 2011

First Word #5 Psalm 104:33-34

Psalm 104:33–34 (ESV)
33I will sing to the Lord as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have being.
34May my meditation be pleasing to him, for I rejoice in the Lord.

Our thoughts this week have been on appropriate meditation.  These verses again bring us back to this topic.  Yet, closely associated with meditation is singing.  Do songs, hymns, and spiritual songs have a presence in your daily life?  Singing, humming, and whistling songs that I have learned through my life in church and at Christian camp and Christian school have helped me through many a day.  They help me to get my focus back on God and his abundant blessings in my life as well as His love for me. 

There are so many varieties of styles of Christian music out there that I would encourage you to listen and find multiple ones that challenge and encourage you in your walk.  Most importantly listen carefully to the words to make sure that they can be supported by Scripture.  Unfortunately, there are many songs out there with weak theology or wrong theology therefore,  we should be careful to choose those with good and strong theology.

If you say, “I don’t know where to start.”  Let me encourage you to look up Keith and Kristen Getty’s website and listen to some of their new hymns.  They are full of strong theology and great ideas to meditate upon God.

Why is this important? God wants to be pleased with our meditation and music is a very powerful medium that will help to influence and change our meditation.  Therefore, it is necessary to listen to music and memorize music that will be pleasing to God as our meditation.  This was the Psalmists’ desire, my prayer that it would be yours and mine as well.
May we have a lifelong passion for our Sovereign Creator that drives us to sing and raise our voices in praise to His name.

Paul realized the importance of this in corporate worship as well.  He commanded that we be “speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in our hearts to the Lord.” (Eph. 4:29)  In Colossians he further stated, “Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. (Col. 3:16)

Not only does singing songs and meditating on songs help us in our daily walk with Christ, but it helps us to prepare to be obedient to these commands that we are to fulfill toward one another.

The video form of this blog can be found at www.fbclittletonil.org/FirstWord.html

No comments:

Post a Comment