Thursday, October 13, 2011

First Word # 1 - Psalm 63:1

Psalm 63:1  O God  You are my God; Early will I seek You; My soul thirsts for You; My flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land Where there is no water.

The desire of David was to seek God early.  He had a thirst for God that need to be quenched and by setting his mind on God and His lovingkindness, David was able to continue to praise God in spite of people trying to kill him.

I am doubtful that anyone seeing this today is worried about someone trying to kill them unless they are serving in the military somewhere.  Yet we all have the need to focus our minds on God early in the day that our day may be directed by Him. 

Our desire is that for those who tune in daily to “First Word” that we might help them to focus on God and His Word.  This by no means is intended to replace your personal time in Bible Study, Prayer, and mediation, but as a supplement to help you as you begin your day.

As David sought for God and then focused on Him here in Psalm 63.  We see that it affected what was on his lips for he said “My lips shall praise You”.  You see when we are praising God with our lips we don’t have time to be complaining about our boss or whining about going to work.

In verse five, He talks about the satisfaction of soul that he finds in God and how his praise is from Joyful lips.

David’s contemplation helps him to realize that it is God that has been upholding him (vs. 8).  And he pledges to follow close to him.  In Psalm 143:8 David says, “Cause me to hear your loving kindness in the morning,   For in You do I trust; Cause me to know the way in which I should walk, For I lift up my soul to You.”  Perhaps this is one reason we know David as a “man after God’s own heart”, because his desire was to walk in the way God had for him.

Our hope is that as you take the time to listen in on a regular basis that you along with us can learn to better walk in God’s way that you may experience God’s blessing and be encouraged in your walk of obedience. 

If you would like to see this in video format use the link below to First Word!
http://www.fbclittletonil.org/First%20Word.html

No comments:

Post a Comment