Monday, October 17, 2011

First Word # 3 - Psalm 19:14

Psalm 19:14 (ESV)
14Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

I am not sure I can count all the times that someone has said within hearing range of me, “Don’t say that at church! Or Don’t talk like that he’s a pastor.”

Yet, very few people in today’s society seemed to be concerned with what God thinks of what they are saying.  Maybe a church building or a pastor help give God “flesh” and are therefore are  convicting, but as one considers the verse before us today we must be reminded that God sees and knows all that we say.

If I place myself in front of the holy and almighty , creator and sustainer of the universe, would my words be different?  Does God’s omniscience (complete knowledge) of my words concern me?  It should!  He has given us standards in His Word for what type of communication should come out of our mouths.

Yet, this verse goes beyond our speech to that on which we are meditating.  What is our mind continually mulling over when we are not forced to be thinking about a task before us?  The psalmist here recognizes that his meditation can be either pleasing or displeasing to God.  The things that I meditate on should please Him. 

Some may ask, “Just what is meditation?”  As I look up the meaning it says, “to murmur, or a moaning”.  I am reminded of when I was a school teacher.  I loved to give pop quizzes in science because it made the students review their notes each morning.  It was therefore not uncommon as the students came into class to have them reciting over and over again to themselves whatever the content was.  As we studied the solar system we might hear a large number of students saying, “Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto,  Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto,  Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto.” 

They were meditating upon the planets of the solar system!  If God can be either pleased or displeased with what we meditate on then we had better find out some of the things that are pleasing to Him.  Yesterday, in our “First Word” we saw that “God’s Word” should be our meditation day and night.  May we work to please God as we set our mind to meditate upon His Word as one of the things that we know will please Him!

The verse finishes with a statement of confidence that God is both His Rock and his Redeemer.  I hope that you too look to God as the foundation for your life and that you have been redeemed through the blood of Jesus Christ His Son.

http://www.fbclittletonil.org/First%20Word.html

No comments:

Post a Comment