Friday, January 6, 2012

Principles for a New Year


As the New Year rolls by many will be making New Year’s resolutions, yet my challenge to you today is to take to heart some principles from Proverbs chapter 3.  These principles not only will change the focus of most individual lives, but will also bring about God’s blessing because each of these principles comes with a promise.

Proverbs 3:1–12 (NKJV) 1My son, do not forget my law, But let your heart keep my commands; 2For length of days and long life And peace they will add to you. 3Let not mercy and truth forsake you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart, 4And so find favor and high esteem In the sight of God and man. 5Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; 6In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. 7Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil. 8It will be health to your flesh, And strength to your bones. 9Honor the Lord with your possessions, And with the firstfruits of all your increase; 10So your barns will be filled with plenty, And your vats will overflow with new wine. 11My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, Nor detest His correction; 12For whom the Lord loves He corrects, Just as a father the son in whom he delights.

Principle One: Learn God’s Truth (vs. 1-4)
Solomon in verse one says, “do not forget my law, but let your heart keep my commands.”  One has to learn the law before he can forget it.  For my heart to keep commands I have to sincerely desire to observe them. 

The promises that come with this principle are length of days, long life, and peace (vs. 2).  As well as, favor and esteem from God and man. 

Principle Two: Obey God’s Will (vs. 3-8)
Solomon’s challenge here is to “Trust in the Lord”.  Becoming fully reliant on God will cause us to “lean not on our own understanding” but to “acknowledge Him” as we choose to do what is pleasing to God.  Our own pride causes us to “be wise in our own eyes.”  Yet, when I “fear the Lord” I will quit my sinful ways and turn to following His plan for my life.

The promises here are God’s direction, health, and strength. 

Principle Three:  Acknowledge God’s Provision (vs. 9-12)
God through Solomon here challenges us to “Honor the Lord with your possessions.”  By giving back the “firstfruits” I acknowledge that God is the one that gave me the ability to “make” the money that I make.  He sustains my life so that I can work and provide.  Since all belongs to Him, I give back my “firstfruits,” which practically is the first cut of my paycheck.  In Scripture this is at least the first 10% of His provision.

The promise here is abundant blessing in my income.

This article was originally published in the pastor's column of the Rushville Times  December 28, 2011.   The video version can be seen at www.youtube.com/churchoflittleton  FW # 56

No comments:

Post a Comment