Monday, January 23, 2012

Praying to do the Right thing in the Right Time!


Romans 1:8 – 13 First, I think my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. For God is my witness whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers, making request if, by some means, now at last I find a way in the will of God to come to you. For I long to see you, that I may impart you some spiritual gift, so that I may be established – that is, that I may be encouraged together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me. Now I do not want you to be unaware, brother and, that I often plan to come to you (but was hindered until now), that I might have some fruit among you also, just as among the other Gentiles.

As we returned the data Romans chapter 1, we are going to look further into Paul's request. Paul in his prayer to God was requesting the opportunity to visit the Romans. His statement in verse 10 and his statement in verse 13 make it clear that this had been his desire for some time. Yet he makes it all so clear in verse 10 that he does not want his desire to overrule God's will. Though he recognized the good that could come from his visit to the Romans he also understood that to be blessed and it it needed to be according to God's will. One writer put it this way," we must be concerned with doing things right (management), but we also must be concerned with doing the right things (leadership)." Paul's comments reveal that he was truly concerned with both of these areas.

One of the primary reasons for Paul's desire to visit was so that he might impart a spiritual gift to help strengthen our established the believers at Rome. Paul getting to spend time with the Romans would allow his spiritual gift of teaching and preaching to be used to build their faith and to strengthen them as a body of believers. But Paul also realized that by being there not only could he encouraged the Romans but they through their faith could also encourage him as well.

In this request we find Paul praying desiring God's will he and at the same time desiring to see the growth the Romans. How often do we become selfish and our prayers ignore the will of God and what his desire is and forget about the benefit of others and their need to grow spiritually? When we recognize the opportunity to minister are we patient enough to wait for God's timing?

 May our prayers like Paul's be concerned with the will of God and the growth of other believers that we might see fruit in their lives.

The Video version of this is available at www.youtube.com/user/churchoflittleton  FW # 63

No comments:

Post a Comment