Friday, November 4, 2011

Confidence in the Lord Psalm 25

Psalm 25:1–3 (ESV)
1To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
2O my God, in you I trust; let me not be put to shame; let not my enemies exult over me.
3Indeed, none who wait for you shall be put to shame; they shall be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous.
Psalm 25 shows us David in the midst of distress and then what he was doing to keep that distress from becoming despair.
-      David avoids having his distress become despair by putting his confidence in the Lord, Being committed to the Lord, By choosing to have integrity by confessing sin, and he chose to know the fear of the Lord.
In verse one David says, “To You O Lord I lift my soul” vs. 1  He is showing direct confidence and reliance on God.  He continues, “ O my God, I trust in You.”   This word trust is defined as “ to rely on , put confidence in , to believe in a person or object to the point of reliance upon.”[1]

David then says, “Let me not be ashamed”  He was not concerned with simply David’s shame  but shame for trusting in the Lord – God’s name was at stake.  If God did not rescue him His Name would not receive glory.
In verse five David is putting his life on the line with God as he says, “You are the God of my salvation” vs. 5   He was trusting God for salvation.
“My eyes are ever toward the Lord”, was David’s statement in verse 15.  He would not let them wander he was to anything else it was the Lord that had his confidence.

This theme is continued in verse 20 where he says, “Keep My Soul and Deliver me for … I trust in you.”  And in verse 21 where he states, “I Wait for You.” 

I have met and listened to many people who will not put their confidence in the Lord.. they continue to speak of their problem looking to hear the answers they want to hear.  If they look long enough they will find the people to say what they want to hear and thereby miss the truth of God’s Word and miss having confidence in the Lord.

I hope today that as you face distress that you will place your confidence in the Lord.
 
The video version of this is available at www.youtube.com/churchoflittleton  .

[1] James Swanson, Dictionary of Biblical Languages With Semantic Domains : Hebrew (Old Testament), electronic ed. (Oak Harbor: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1997).

No comments:

Post a Comment