Friday, June 29, 2012

The Process of Spiritual Transformation (part 2)


Last time together we began looking at the process of Spiritual transformation.  We are commanded to be transformed by the renewing of our mind so that we no longer think like the gentiles.

Our thinking is to be changed as we submit to the Holy Spirit and the Word of God.

Today I want to go to Ephesians 4 and look at some very practical principles to illustrate how this change needs to take place as we renew our mind.

Ephesians 4:25 (ESV) 25Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another.

We must “put-off” lying.  As we renew our mind, lying should have no part in the Christian life and within the body of Christ.  In the place of lying we “put-on” speaking the truth” or truth telling.  One person asked the question,  “When is a liar no longer a liar?”   It is not when they stop talking.  A liar is no longer a liar when the speak the truth.   The cognitive change or the transformation of the mind that must take place in this passage is that we must realize that we are “members one of another”.   To lie to a brother or sister in Christ is to attack the body of Christ of which I am a part.  That has the same common sense of my right hand taking a hammer and attacking another part of my body.  It will affect the body as a whole.  Therefore, as members of one another, we don’t want to lie to ourselves.

Ephesians 4:26–27 (ESV) 26Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, 27and give no opportunity to the devil.

Rather than living a life in continued anger we must have settled relationships.  If I go to bed angry, I wake up angry.  In waking up angry I give the devil opportunity as I start my new day.  I Peter 5:8 says, “Be sober, be diligent for your adversary the devil walks about as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour.”   When we go to bed angry it is as if we are telling a lion who is ready to pounce,  “Wait right here, I will be by in a little and you are welcome to get me.”  Maybe this is a little simplified, but I hope you get the picture.  We must deal with our anger as soon as possible.  In Matt. 5:24 Christ when challenging us not to worry about tomorrow told us “sufficient for the day is its own troubles.”    If tomorrows troubles will be enough for one day then I surely don’t want to save over today’s troubles for tomorrow.

I hope that you will begin to renew your mind and allow your thinking and your life to be transformed so that you can lead a Christ honoring life.

No comments:

Post a Comment