Monday, February 27, 2012

Why Do You Believe in Eternal Security? part 2


I was recently asked why I believed in “eternal security”.  Yesterday I shared that based upon the promise in Phil . 1:6 that “He who began a good work in your will be faithful to complete it” and the statements in Eph. 2 that it was God who had “made alive” myself and anyone that believes that we might have faith, I am trusting God to keep that promise for we are told that God cannot lie (Tit. 1:2).

Today we will begin with Romans 4:5 “To him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness.”  We have here the promise that “faith” justifies.  It puts me in good standing with God.  I am declared righteous because of faith, the faith that God gave me (Eph. 2:8-9).

Paul makes it clear in Romans 5:1 that this is a done deal.  He begins saying, “Therefore, having been justified by faith.”  Having been is past tense.  It has already taken place.  My legal standing before God has been settled.   He goes on declaring, “we have peace with God”.  This is a change in status.  When I was made alive and put my faith in Jesus Christ, I was declared righteous and put at peace with God.  I am, therefore, no longer His enemy.

In verse 9, Paul continues, “Much more then having now been justified by his blood, we shall be saved from the wrath through Him.”  In other words, my present justification, which took place when I put my faith in Christ, guarantees my being saved from the wrath.  “Shall be” is a promise once again of God’s future work on my account because of Christ’s past work in redeeming me and the work of the Holy Spirit regenerating me so that I might have faith in Jesus Christ.

A similar promise is made in Romans 5:10.  “For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.”  Because of my new standing before God, the fact that I am no longer His enemy, I am promised that we are saved by Christ’s life!   This should be enough to make anyone shout “Hallelujah”.   Paul indeed confirms that “we rejoice in God through whom we have now received the reconciliation.”

Our rejoicing can continue because “reconciliation” is a done deal.  It is now received. 

In summary, faith in Jesus Christ and His death on the cross has placed me in  a new standing with Christ.  I am “justified”, and will remain justified.  I am reconciled and will remain reconciled.  And through this justification and reconciliation I am promised salvation, that is eternal life.

I hope that you too have put your faith in Jesus Christ and Christ alone for salvation so that you too might rest assured and rejoice in your position in Christ.

The video version of this is available at www.youtube.com/user/churchoflittleton  FW # 81

No comments:

Post a Comment